Carrville United Church
Table of Contents

Title Page
Carrville United Church
Headford United Church
Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church
Richmond Hill United Church
St. John the Baptist Anglican Church
St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church
St. Mary's Anglican Church
Temperanceville United Church

Like many other pioneer congregations, the Primitive Methodists of Carrville began meeting in local homes prior to the erection of the church. In 1850, a frame church was erected on a lot on the northeast corner of Carrville Road and Bathurst Street. Less than ten years later, the congregation required a larger building. Fortunately, this was made possible by the generosity of parishioner Thomas Cook, a mill owner who had emigrated from England in 1833. Cook not only provided the land and funds for the building, but boarded the men employed to construct it.

The church, then referred to as Cook's Mills Primitive Methodist Church, was a simple structure built using homemade bricks produced in the area. The windows are gracefully arched but not ornately glazed.

More recent additions include a Sunday School room and a kitchen on the north end of the church. The name of the church became Carrville Methodist Church with the Methodist church union in 1884, and Carrville United Church in 1925 when the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches merged.

To browse through the cemetery, click here.


Previous    Next