[To search all databases, click here]
Table of Contents

Title Page
1860s and earlier
Wright family photo albums, 1860-1900
Photos circa 1900 to 1940


Looking west along Carrville Road in the nineteenth century.
Gas street lamp in front of the Palmer family home, installed in 1892 and maintained by village lamplighter James Brownlee.
The Coon house in Oak Ridges, north of King Sideroad. This house, originally owned by the Hughey family, was built in the mid-19th century.

The Trench Carriage Works,Richmond Hill's largest employer during the 1870s.
Trench's Carriage Works with employees
A wagon made at Trench's Carriage Works.
A wagon made at Trench's Carriage Works.
Wagon manufactured by the Trench Carriage Works.

Newton Tanning Company at Elgin Mills. Located on the sideroad west of Yonge Street behind the blacksmith shop on the northwest corner. It was a major employer of Richmond Hill labour in the later decades of the nineteenth century.
Employees of the Newton Tanning Company in 1898. Back row, left to right, are: --, N. Garness,, Geo Sims, Sr.,S. Kirkland,Bertram Newton, --, - Garbutt, --, George Hopper, and Tom Newton. Front row: Dave Mckenzie, --, J Brydon,A. Hamilton, --, F. Dolen, --, Andrew Newton,C. Skeele,W. Naughton, --, --, --, J. Naughton, and N. Naughton. Sitting: L. McLeod,F. Grainger.
The chimney of the Newton Tanning Company.
Routledge's blacksmith shop at Oak Ridges, with Walter Mortson in front.
T.H. Legge & Sons, General Merchants, Temperanceville
In 1880, village council moved its meeting room from the Robin Hood Hotel to the second floor of the new Palmer Block, pictured on the right, at the northwest corner of Yonge and Arnold streets. The fire engine house was located on the north end of this building.
Waiting for the stagecoach at the Dominion House (formerly Dalby's Tavern), a mainstay of Richmond Hill's nineteenth-century hospitality industry. The Dominion House was located on the east side of Yonge Street, south of the Trench Carriage Works.
Team of horses and wagon at the Langstaff Toll-gate, today's Yonge Street and Highway 7 intersection. For many years this toll-gate was operated by Henry Richards and his son Henry, Jr.
An early Langstaff family residence at Langstaff.
The Innes sawmill after the 1894 fire.

Richmond Hill High School in its 1897 building at Yonge and Wright streets, later part of the municipal building of the Town of Richmond Hill.
Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church and Manse.
Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church and Manse.
St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church, original structure built in November 1857; this building erected in 1894.
Interior of St. Mary Immaculate Roman Catholic Church, 1894


Previous    Next

This electronic finding aid to the local historical photos of Richmond Hill is provided courtesy of the Richmond Hill Public Library.