[To search all databases, click here]
Chapter 7
The Neighbours at Mid-Century
Table of Contents

Title Page
Author's Preface
1 The Road through Richmond Hill
2 First Peoples on the Land
3 The European Settlers Arrive
4 From Miles' Hill to Richmond Hill: The Birth of a Community
5 Tories and Reformers
6 Stagecoach Lines and Railway Tracks
7 The Neighbours at Mid-Century
Beyond the Village Centre
Assorted Residents of Langstaff Road West in the Early 1840s
Hallowe'en Pranks at Langstaff Corners
Elgin Mills
Entertaining Girls at Twickenham Farm
Jefferson, Bond Lake, Oak Ridges
"The Passing of Headford Mill"
Headford and Dollar
Carrville, Patterson, and Temperanceville
Markham and Whitchurch, Vaughan and King
8 Fire Brigades and Fence Viewers
9 Picture Post Card Village of the 1880s and 1890s
10 Rails through Richmond Hill
11 The Flowering of Richmond Hill
12 The Village Transformed
Table of Illustrations

Headford and Dollar

Headford in 1860, adapted by Janet Allin from a map prepared by Ruth Reaman.
East of Richmond Hill, on present-day Leslie Street just south of Major Mackenzie Drive, the settlement of Headford, or Headford Mills, owed its mid-century prosperity to mill sites rather than Yonge Street travellers. Here, along a headwater tributary of the
The search for oil at Klink's farm.
Rouge River, were a variety of mills and tradesmen's shops and a general store. A Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated in 1850 and a post office established in 1856.

Headford even witnessed an outbreak of oil fever in the 1860s. Drilling began on John Burr's land, gas kept bubbling up, but no commercially viable oil was ever extracted. By the early twentieth century, as small mills proved uneconomical, Headford declined and eventually died as a recognizable community.
Headford Public School.
Headford Methodist Church, built in 1882, pictured before lightning destroyed its steeple on August 24, 1914.
Headford Methodist Church, built in 1882, pictured after the lightning strike.

Mr. and Mrs. C. Brooke on the front porch of the Dollar Post Office, July 1, 1907.
Even less recognizable today is Headford's neighbour settlement of Dollar, two sideroads south at Leslie Street and Highway 7. There in the second half of the nineteenth century, Dollar boasted a store, post office, blacksmith shop and church; today Dollar is lost amid the business establishments and industrial parks of late-twentieth-century southern Ontario.
The ladies serve supper at T. Thompson's barn-raising, Headford, June 15, 1909.


Previous    Next

Copyright Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991